Saturday 17 October 2009

Birth and re-birth

We had our first English Club last night. We packed 18 students into our building, ate cookies, drank tea, and discussed such in-depth questions as: "Would you rather eat moldy bread, or lick a dirty toilet?" "Would you rather eat a bar of soap or drink a bottle of liquid soap?" "Would you rather have all the hairs on your body plucked off one by one or have all your toenails and fingernails pulled off?" Our brain cells were enlivened--especially when someone turned on Hannah Montana's latest hit, and we all learned the dance steps. Well, mostly everyone. I "took pictures." I'm lame.

Three guys stayed until midnight, long after everyone else had gone home. The guitar--the great connector-- was brought out, and we joined in together with "My Heart Will Go On" on a rusty, out-of-tune upright piano. Is there anything better? Doubtful.

One of the students began to play a Czech worship song on the guitar. There are not many who are so openly Christian, but this guy is. I thought, am I that brave? I am a foreigner--I am excused to be strange and have stupid religious views. But this guy lives every day as a true Christian in an atheistic community, and he doesn't care. He is not careful not to offend anyone. So what if his Christian lifestyle spurs on conversations and controversy? He is the 21st century Paul of Tarsus.

And there are others. There are others who are working hard for change--and not just on Sunday, not just at Youth Group, not just during their five minutes of daily prayer. It is constant, and it is noticed. It is incredible--and an honor--to live among these people. I thought that I was going to this place to share my faith, to open eyes, to teach. No, I am the one that is learning, that is having my eyes opened. You want a testimony? Talk to a Czech Christian. They will give you a real-life account. Most did not have the opportunity to "grow up" with Christianity in their family; they had to make their own choice, their own commitment, to follow Christ. It is a daily thing to choose to do it, to be real, to be true. I have never seen this kind of faith.

I am alive. I breathe in and out, I walk, I talk, I think. It is here that I see what it means to live in Christ. I have never understood this before. There is a deep joy that comes from this life--it is the best and, for me, only way to describe it. It is rooted, and it does not leave. It is not always exuberant, not always energetic, but it is a quality of joy that is unlike anything else. I hold out my hands, first to receive, and then to pour out. I am experiencing life, both again and for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment