Wednesday 16 September 2009

A Small Lunchtime Anecdote

I was standing in the lunch line today with a bunch of little kids. Usually I use my Teacher Power and cut in front of whoever is nearest the trays and silverware, but today my lessons ended early and I had nowhere else to be but in line with the cheeky little Czech youngsters. One kid cut in front of me, and immediately the one ahead of him turned around, pointed at him and started jabbering at me in Czech. I assumed the intended accusation was to see whether I would do anything about said cutter or not. I said "It's okay" in English. That gave me away. "Učitelka?" (Teacher?)
"Ano. Anglicky." (Yes. English.)
...jabber jabber jabber...
"Učitelka?"
"Jo. Jsem z Ameriky." (Yeah. I'm from America.) BAH!!! Eruption. Ten small children turned around, wide-eyed and suddenly hysterical. I was an instant celebrity. Apparently they had heard about me--or at least about someplace called America. One lad kept asking me the only English phrase he knew: "What is your name?"
"My name is Ms. Roe. What is your name?"
"My name is Jan." Silence. "What is your name?" Sigh.
...jabber jabber jabber... They asked me questions I couldn't understand. "Česky? Česky?" (Czech? Do you speak Czech?)
"Nerozumim. Ne Česky." (I don't understand. No Czech.)
"Česky?"
"NE."
...jabber jabber jabber... More questions. I shook my head. They kept asking questions, only this time louder and slower. "I still nerozumim. Ner!O!Zu!Mim!" Kid, it doesn't matter. I don't speak Czech, no matter how slowly or loudly you speak, and I am most certainly not stupid, which I know is what you're thinking. And now your little brain is infected with, "All Americans must be stupid. They can't understand me." It's not AmeriCAN, it's AmeriCAN'T. Ah, me. Thus are stereotypes born. Alas. Attempt at gaining favor with the young'uns = Fail. I'll stick to befriending the lunch ladies. I get extra dumplings from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment